Navigation Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Should I check with the college or university where I am planning to transfer?

Once students choose a specific degree program and four-year institution for transfer, they should schedule an appointment with an advisor or counselor at the four-year institution. Phone numbers are listed on each of the transfer guides. Websites are also a good resource when looking for contact information.

If I do not graduate with an MCC degree, will the program-specific courses transfer?

The Associate-to-Bachelor (A-to-B) Agreements require the completion of the entire associate degree. If students transfer before finishing the associate degree, the four-year institution determines what transfers on a course-by-course basis.

What if I decide to change to a different four-year school?

Although most four-year institutions have degree programs that accept the courses, there is no guarantee, and some credit hours may not transfer. Students should work with an advisor or counselor from both MCC and the new four-year institution to accommodate their change of plans.

Can I take additional courses beyond the degree?

Yes, although they may not transfer. Most institutions accept a maximum of 64.0 semester hours/96.0 quarter hours. Completing an associate degree meets this maximum. Students should work with an advisor or counselor from both MCC and the four-year institution to determine whether additional courses transfer.

Is there a time limit to complete an articulation agreement?

If there is a time limit, it is listed on the agreement document. Although transferring to a four-year institution immediately after graduation is not required, it is desirable. Degree plans and course requirements change, which can result in a loss of credit. It is best to transfer as soon as possible to maximize the transfer of credit.

How often do the articulation agreements change?

Agreements are reviewed annually with the publication of MCC’s new catalog. MCC and the four-year institutions work closely throughout the year to keep up with program changes. Working with an advisor or counselor from both MCC and the four-year institution keeps students on the appropriate educational and career paths and informed of potential changes in the degree plan.

Associate degrees and certificates that prepare students for transfer to other institutions are subject to change annually. Students completing their MCC coursework within four years can choose to receive a transfer degree or certificate under the catalog in force when they entered MCC or the transfer agreement in force during the year of graduation from MCC. In either case, students enter the institution they are transferring to under the degree requirements in force in that school’s catalog on the date they transfer.